Easiest zipper install ever – will have to keep this in mind …ditto! One of the most daunting tasks when finishing a meeting project such as a sweater or sweatshirt is installing the zipper! I admit that I’ve never been a fan installing zippers myself. Of course there are many tutorials on the Internet on how to do this but very few of them make the daunting task of zipper installing easy!
Here’s how you do it:
- You need blocking wires. Why you may ask. Because they hold your knitted fabric in place as well as stabilizing the entire process – such an easy tip yet extremely effective.
- Start by weaving to blocking wires on each side of the front of the sweater. You need one along the first set of stitches and a second one about four or five stitches away.
- Using a small rotary mat, place the zipper underneath the front of the sweater making sure that you have centered it directly under the edges.
- While you have everything in place in one side of the zipper down with your sewing pins.
- Start at the bottom of the zipper and begin back stitching along the zipper’s teeth edge first and then stick again along the edge of the zipper tape.
- Stitch again down the rows one more time.
- Finally, based the other side, remove the blocking wires and you are done.