New Quilts On The Block. Here’s an idea if you are getting tired of the same old block pattern quilt designs. This lovely creation turns into more of a piece of art than a standard quilt. You can use color and pattern to make a bold statement about your style.
Here’s how to do it:
1) You will need 4 center square pieces that are each 4 1/4-inches by 3 1/4-inches.
2) Sew the 4 center pieces together using a 1/8-inch seam allowance.
3) To create the first square pattern around the center you will need 8 1/4-inches across by 1 1/4 inches for the bottom and top and then 10 1/4-inches tall and 1 1/4 inches wide for both sides. You can create these in increments of 1,2,3,4-inches, or whatever your imagination tells you. Mix the colors and the prints to make it a one-of-a-kind.
4) Sew the new sections to the center piece.
5) Continue out in the same manner, adding 2-inches to the length and width as you go.
6) Sew each additional new section to the old one.
7) Measure out and cut the border fabric.
8) Sew the border on.
9) Add backing material and quilt your preferred stitch.
10) Find a great place to display your new quilt!